Do you find yourself with the wonderful problem of not knowing what to do with an extra bedroom? Perhaps you are now an empty-nester, or you still have children living at home and you have an unused room. Here are some ideas for you to consider so that you can make the room work for you.
A Guest Room - The obvious use might be to decorate the extra space as a guest bedroom.
- If you decide to use the extra space as a guest room, consider that the bedroom closets will not be used that much for guests, so they can easily be used for storage. Among the things that can be stored in your guest room closet are holiday decorations, extra linens, or off-season clothes.
- Is there enough space in the extra bedroom for twin beds? If so, this is a consideration, as you may have guests that would be most comfortable sleeping in different beds.
- Don't forget bedside tables with lamps on them for your guests who love to read in bed.
- Another idea is to buy a quilt stand for the room. Your guests may appreciate having extra blankets and towels right at their fingertips.
A Multi-Purpose Room - If you plan carefully, the extra bedroom can be used for many purposes at the same time.
- Are you an artist? Consider setting up your easel in the extra room. You may want to place it next to a window for good lighting. Think about selecting a shabby chick work table to place close to your easel. Picking this type of furniture means that extra paint from your work won't detract from the look.
- Are you a crafter? Consider a table and stool arrangement. Buying some additional stools will make it easier when you have friends working with you. A shelf for supplies and for storing your finished projects would be very useful, too.
- Whether you use the extra bedroom for crafts, art, gift wrapping or anything else, you will probably still be able to use it as a guest room by furnishing it with a cabinet bed. A cabinet bed will be easy to use, as the bed portion pulls out without any problem at all. You can have the bed made up with pretty linens and be ready for guests at any time. While they are staying at your house, the bed can be made and left in the down position. Then, when your guests have left, it will be simple to put the bed away and nobody will even guess there's a bed in the room. Cabinet beds from a company like Innovative Sleep Solutions, come in different sizes and styles, and they are very affordable.
- Consider adding a rocking chair or a glider to the room. Not only will it be there for a bit of relaxation, but it will enhance the look of the room, too.
Have fun as you set up your extra bedroom.